A winner every time! Better Homes & Gardens does get the credit though.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Pare apples; core and cut in eighths.
3. In bowl, sprinkle the apples with 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Stir well to coat and arrange in pastry shell.
4. Mix 1/3 cup sugar with the flour, and cut in butter until crumbly (I use a food processor for speed). Sprinkle over apples.
5. Bake at 400 for 35 to 40 minutes or until done. If pie browns too quickly, cover edge and/or top with foil.
5-7 tart apples (5 cups)
1 9-inch unbaked pastry shell
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 t ground cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 T butter