Delicious Homemade Mac N Cheese everyone's favorite!
1) Cook macaroni according to package.
2) Alternate layers of noodles, cheddar and cottage cheese in greased 2 quart baking dish, beginning with noodles and ending with cheese.
3) Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Blend in milk gradually. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
4) Cook until sauce has thickened - 2 min. Add salt and pepper.
5) Pour sauce over mac n cheese
6) Mix breadcrumbs if used with melted butter. sprinkle over mac n cheese.
7)Casserole may be covered and refrigerated at this point.
8) Bake at 375 for 30-35 min. If refrigerated increase baking time by 10 min.
For 4 servings:
8 oz elbow mac, uncooked
1.5 c shredded sharp cheddar
12 oz creamed cottage cheese
1/4 c butter/margarine
1/4 c flour
2 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/2 c soft bread crumbs, optional
2 T melted butter