This salad is best used with fresh mozzarella (the kind that is kept in liquid in the specialty cheese area of your grocery store).
1) Arrange the sliced tomatoes around the edge in a shallow dish.
2) Place Mozzarella slices in the centre, so that the tomatoes are just visible around the edge of the dish.
3) If using olives, arrange the olives on top.
4) Mix the oil, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper and pour over the tomatoes, cheese and olives.
5) Either serve or cover and chill for up to three hours.
1lb 11 oz Tomatoes, sliced thin (I use orange, red and yellow if available)
6 oz fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
Black olives - 10-12 small (optional)
4 T Olive oil
1.5 T Balsamic vinegar
2 T chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper