These are the BEST BEST enchiladas in the whole world... you must try them at least once.
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Cut chicken into short, this strips.
2. Cook bacon in a 10-inch skillet until crisp. Remove to paper towel; crumble.
3. Pour off all but 2 T drippings.
4. Cook chicken and garlic in drippings until chicken is no longer pink.
5. Stir in ½ cup of the picante sauce, beans, red pepper, cumin and salt. Simmer until thickened, 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in green onions and reserved bacon.
7. Spoon heaping ¼ cup bean mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 1 T cheese. Roll up; place seam side down in a lightly greased 13x9 inch-baking dish.
8. Spoon remaining 1-cup picante sauce evenly over enchiladas.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
10. Top with remaining cheese and return to oven for about 3 minutes.
Top as desired.
Makes about 6 servings.
Hints: I use more picante sauce then recommended. I like saucy enchiladas.
To save time (for me) I cook a 3.5 pound frying chicken in a crock pot all day and then shred it, substitute it in the recipe.
¾ lb. Boneless, skinless chicken breast, uncooked
3 slices bacon
2 cloves garlic, minced
1½ cups PACE picante sauce
1 can (16 oz.) black beans, undrained
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp. Cumin
¼ tsp. Salt
½ cup sliced green onions
12 flour tortillas
1½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Optional: Shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, sour cream, avocado slices, cilantro, etc.